I was trying to post this entry last night, but my @#*& browser kept “not responding” and I lost the whole think halfway through its creation. If it happens again today, you’ll hear me screaming all up and down the East Coast. Well, maybe just suburban Philadelphia, but you know what I mean.
So back to what I was writing about last night.
In honor of Sunday night’s Oscar ceremony, I’ve come up with a baseball-themed movie quiz. Granted, some of these movies will never be considered Oscar material. Then again, I don’t actually watch the Oscars because, 99% of the time, I’ve never seen any of the movies that are nominated. With two children, ages 10 and 7, the movies I get to see are more along the lines of Paul Blart: Mall Cop and Hotel For Dogs. Not exactly Oscar material.
OK – nine questions, some easy, some not so easy. Let’s see how you do!
1. The Rookie is based on the true story of what former major-league pitcher?
2. Tom Hanks’ character Jimmy Dugan, in A League of Their Own, is loosely based on what real-life baseball player?
3. Former Phillies Pat Burrell, Doug Glanville, and Mike Lieberthal make cameo appearances portraying themselves in what movie, which takes place in the Cape Cod Baseball League?
4. In a scene from Fever Pitch, Lindsey (Drew Barrymore) starts naming various Red Sox items found in Ben’s (Jimmy Fallon) apartment. What is the only Yankees item she names?
5. A notably slimmer Barry Bonds makes a cameo appearance striking out against 12-year-old Henry Rowangartner in what movie?
6. In The Sandlot, Benny “The Jet” Rodriguez has a dream featuring what Hall-of-Famer?
7. In Field of Dreams, what is the name of the player that flashes briefly on Fenway Park’s scoreboard?
8. Former major-leaguer Ken Berry, who played 9 seasons for the Chicago White Sox, was a technical adviser for what movie, which also features the White Sox?
9. During the end credits of Bull Durham, a photo of what Yankee great can be seen in Annie Savoy’s baseball shrine?
Check back tomorrow for the answers. In the meantime, if you enjoyed this quiz, check out my music-themed quiz, Take Me Out To The Turntable.